Monday, May 2, 2016

Memorandum: Reflective Post

Photo credit to Chris Lott on Flickr.

When I first began this course I thought that I did not prefer the use of technology in the middle grades classroom. I would label my teaching philosophy beliefs at 40/60% perennialism and progressivism respectively, though I perhaps merely did not realize the potential afforded to hands-on projects by technology, a personal intelligence of mine. I learned of the creatively formattable nature of web 2.0 tools, and the multitude of uses they allowed in the classroom throughout this course.

Our discussion posts opened to me a reliable, non-invasive, method of exchanging and receiving opinions. I saw that this format could be especially helpful to my future students, as the age groups of middle school children typically align with a shy, inhibited demeanor. As well, it allows students to articulate their thoughts, structure their viewpoints and messages being conveyed, and allows me as the teacher to easily log the interactions between them. By even the first Digital Blog Post I felt a stirring within me toward the possibilities of different web 2.0 programs; the final then really affirmed just what could be achieved, and the range employable in creating those achievements. Lessons with Prezi, assessments via FlipQuiz, brainstorming (for poem, essay, or project/theme creation) with Bubble.us; plus announcements, creative bell-work, and grade notifications possible through Padlet.

In another reversal, I found collaborative group projects to be both a beneficial and teachable structure, despite the problems that lend themselves to the format. So long as any submissions or creations of group projects are split into sections, for middle grades students, collaboration could do well. I think I would have to take into consideration things like peer-to-peer congeniality, performance tracking, and individual egoisms though. But, at the end of the day, I imagine school to be just as much of a social locale as an academic one, so throwing students into uncomfortable classmate compositions could definitely work out. The rest of the assignments deal with teaching specifics, so I won’t comment on them in relation to students; know though that they of course aided my own learning in school climate.

As far as improving EME 2040 goes, I’m not so terribly sure. It’s kind of like having a very good dinner out, and then upon being asked how the food could have been better, replying with “Well, the meal could be free…” Technically any learned material could be better, but without knowing what options are available to improve the course, I can only randomly speculate. It’s as if my answer to that restaurant question would instead be “You could have used that exotic spice that I have never seen or heard of before.” I hope this answer will suffice.

Our WebQuests served as a possible means to teach a subject using, and being based in, technology as outlined through communication and technology/information management standards. Arguably the WikiSpaces project was a more distilled implementation of technology, as what brings to mind internet based learning more than Wikipedia (or wiki styled articles in general). Website rubric evaluations stood out perfectly as a way to determine student’s adherence to established guidelines; rubrics themselves will undoubtedly take great importance in grading methods of any kind. And, while discussion posts covered topics like ELL learning and legal ethics, our e-portfolios catalogued classroom management with technology precisely, as it culminated all that we have put forward as far as the use of web tools in the classroom.

All in all, I’m impressed by the degree to which I have been persuaded into technology’s use. This course initiated a path that one could only imagine continuing for decades; the world is only becoming more obsessed with technology surely. I of course won’t make technology everything; it has its place among the other formats and types of teaching, but a comfortable spot it’s secured for sure.

Photo credit to Chris Devers at Flickr.


 Here's a great TED Talk on the benefits of self-reflection hosted by James Schmidt:




Photo credit to Matthew Hurst on Flickr.
References:


Maloy, R.,  O'Loughlin, R., Edwards, S., & Woolf, B. (2011). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 1st Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education Inc.
TEDx Talks (2015, Apr. 10). The Value of Self-Reflection | James Schmidt |TEDxUniversityofGlasgow [video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1bgdwC_m-Y

No comments:

Post a Comment